4 protips how to measure a perfect ring size
We bet, you want to do it right. It doesn’t matter if you are buying a ring together with your partner or want to keep it discreetly. You still want the ring to be perfect on a finger. It is extremely important to know the correct ring size when you plan to order a ring online. Sometimes jewelers have their pieces just in one copy, which makes an exchange impossible. And even if you can return and exchange the ring, it’s an extra effort you’d better put in another direction.
To make the whole process easier, here comes the protips list:
- visit local jewelry store
- get a ring sizer
- measure with ring sizing kit
- measure with printed PDF
Visit local jewelry store
This is the most straightforward way to find out yours or your partner’s ring size. If you have not a slightest clue about the size, visit a local jeweler or jewelry store. Even if you don’t buy from them, many jewelers will measure your finger for free. Please consider this option as your premier choice if you are looking for an engagement ring online. When you provide the most accurate measurements, you will be 100% sure that the ring will fit perfectly.
Get a ring sizer
This is one of the most trustable home methods to get correct measurements. Ring sizer is a special device which is also used in jewelry stores but if you don’t want to go to the store, you can buy one online. You can google for keywords like ring sizer, or ring sizing tool, or ring tape.
Using the tape you can get a pretty much precise measurement, as it’s adjustable and normally comes with a comprehensive instruction for use. You might want to keep it for future, as the fingers may change over time and you will need to go for another measurement.
For the best results, make sure you’ve accommodated your knuckle properly in the tool and there is enough space. Place the tape over your finger and pull it around into a circle.
Adjust the size of the circle, move it across your knuckles, as you would do with a real ring. Make sure it fits comfortably, and take notes of the measurements.
Thing to remember: make sure that you and your jeweller use the same sizing scale. Here at Eden Garden Jewelry store all sizes are specified in US scale, but we can help you to convert any of your measurements.
Measure with ring sizing kit
This is one of the ways to get an accurate measurement of the ring size at home. The kit is a set of solid measuring rings marked with each ring's size. Just place your fingers in different fake rings to find the perfect gauge. When you have a solid piece around your finger, this is almost a promise of an as accurate measurement as possible.
Thing to remember: in our shop ring sizes are specified in US scale, but no worries if you have UK or German standard's measurement. Use our conversion chart to know which US size you have.
Warning: there is plenty of advice on the internet on measuring the ring size using paper strips or strings, or a ruler, yet those are not really credible. Using those you will get an approximate size only. Another tricky thing is that the fingers “change” during the day reacting to temperature outside, humidity and other stuff. This makes a measurement even more incorrect.
So here are some more tips to consider, when measuring your ring size:
- make sure that you do a measurement at normal temperature, as fingers shrink or expand during the day depending on weather conditions;
- regarding previous consideration about fingers changing their size throughout the day, the best time to measure your finger is at the end of the day, when it is likely the largest;
- make sure you measure the right finger (and hand!), as the fingers on a dominant hand are slightly larger;
- If you aim to surprise your partner and you need to make a measurement discreetly, measure a ring with a similar width from the same finger as the ring you want to purchase.
Want to make a surprise for her and no one of the advices works? We could help sometimes.
- Let's chat and see if she has any rings - we could help to understand the right ring size using a ruler.
- Without any guarantees, but having photos of your partner, where hands are visible, we could say approximate ring size she wears.
- A bit of extreme (what my husband actually did!) - you can measure her finger with ring sizer while she is sleeping!
Just go for it and make it remarkable.